Thursday 14 July 2016

Autism can make you feel alone.

Now I know I have friends and family whom I know will always be there for me, but having autism can make you feel alone and isolated even when you are surrounded by people. You miss out on things that you would otherwise have enjoyed. You can't go out with your friends without the fear of a meltdown hanging over your head. Or if you have to have your friends told to keep an eye on me. Or when you have your younger siblings treat you like a parent would a child. It can make the Teen years incredibly awkward. You are trying to grasp at straws to grow up and gain some sense of independence but it can all come crashing down when you have a panic attack because everything is getting too overwhelming. When people find out you have Autism they often treat you like you are a small child. They give you looks of sympathy and adopt a calm persona. It can be incredibly annoying if you are trying to fit in with your peers. You struggle to have people see you for who you are. They are too busy looking at autistic you, but that is only part of who you are. Now I would never get rid of my autism but some days I am just fed up of the meltdowns, of crying because something changed. I cried when facebook changed their format. I did not like the change. It seems so petty and insignificant to so many but to me that was huge. It made me confused and disorientated.

Being a Teenager sucks. Being a teenager with Autism is horrible but we need to remember how amazing and individual we are. Even if we cant do certain things or we have meltdowns in public or get treated like children. We are Special.

No comments:

Post a Comment