Friday 5 August 2016

How to Support the Autistic Person in your life.

Hello. Chances are you know someone with Autism. It could be a Sibling, Parent, Friend, Grandparent. Anyone really. Now just remember if you have met one person with Autism, you have only met one of the amazing, talented people out there.

People can often make the mistake that just because someone does not talk means they have nothing to say but I think that they just communicate differently. It takes a truly special person to get to see such Intelligence, because even though they cannot or struggle to talk. When they find a way to shout out their words be it painting, music, writing or any other thing really It is a true sign of bravery and Awesomeness.

One great way to Support someone with Autism is by learning about their Obsessions. Do they love Trains? A certain book? A TV show? Whatever it is learning a bit about it will help you get to know them better and you can know how to cheer them up. Taking the time to do this will be an amazing gesture as it shows you truly care. My sister actually got interested in a lot of the things that i introduced her too. She would always deny at first that she liked them but after walking in on her fangirling over JohnLock fanfiction she really could not deny it much longer. I feel happy that I have managed to get her to enjoy the stuff i do...Well mostly.Unfortunately YouTube was one of those things I introduced to her and I am afraid that it has now enveloped her life. I can only blame myself for that one.

Find out if they have any triggers you need to be careful for. you would not want to accidentally cause a meltdown. Do they have to have their sandwich cut diagonally? Do they not like loud noise? Do they have a certain routine they must adhere to? Is there anything that can calm them down if said meltdown happens? These are all important questions to ask. Just find out anything you need to know to support them.

Don't treat them differently because of it. All too many times people have found out I am autistic treat me like a child. It is very embarrassing seen as i am nearly 17. They give you sympathetic looks of 'Oh i'm so sorry you have autism.' It makes me feel incredibly uncomfortable as then part of me feels the need to act younger than i am to avoid them asking questions. I am a human just like you. I want to be treated with respect. Autism does not define me. I love having Autism but there a lot of things that are just no fun.

I recommend you read the book The reason I Jump. It is written by an amazing person with Autism called Naoki Higashida.

I am hoping to write a second part to this to expand on what i have said. If there is anything else you would like to now please comment or send me a message.

No comments:

Post a Comment